Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Tuesday, September FIRST, 2009!

WOW! Is it possible that it's September already? I've been neglecting this blog, being on vacation last week and in a flurry of activity yesterday getting ready for the 1st classes and lessons of the year. They came, and what a great group of kids and parents! I'm really looking forward to this year. Ran across this quote this morning:

“A teacher is a compass that activates the magnets of curiosity, knowledge, and wisdom in the pupils.”
―Ever Garrison

Kind of stuffy language, but you get the idea. "Activating magnets".....hmm...I like that idea. I do believe that they are they in everyone, young and old, just waiting to be activated. I'll do my best this year to bring that into fruition for each and every one of them. There is nothing like all those sets of eyes looking intently at me, wondering what new thing I'll tell them, or ask them to do. I told one class yesterday it wasn't like school, at least not always, since to demonstrate the word "forte", I asked them to shout it LOUDLY. They did a GREAT job! Loudly and with great enthusiasm. Can't wait for the next ones. Today is all private lessons, and they are a whole different cat altogether.

Does anyone think that teaching is a God-given gift, or just a learned set of skills, magnets, if you will that OUR teachers activated in us? Perhaps a combination of both? Food for thought.....

No comments: