Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday, September 10, 2009

I received this via email from Frances Balodis, founder of Music for Young Children:


Who are your mentors? Have you thought about where you met them and how long ago they influenced and strengthened you? If you could talk to just one of your mentors, what would you say? If you could have another mentor, who would it be? Someone in your personal life or someone in your business life? Have you ever asked your child who is important to them? It might surprise you to have that conversation. Wouldn't it be interesting to hear your child say that their mentor was Mozart? Not surprising that practicing has picked up in your home recently! Mozart was a child wonder! Your child is a miracle - and with the magic and strength of a mentor, this little miracle can blossom and grow with the strength, not just on their own strength but on the fortitude and influence of others.
Frances Mae Balodis, MEd. ARCT LCCM(Hon) LCNCM(Hon) RMT


It got me thinking about those questions. We are pretty lacking in mentors these days as a culture. People ask sports and pop stars about being "role models", and frankly, as parents, we cringe if our child idolizes one that is less than stellar in morals and good character. I had my father, William Buelow, as a mentor for me musically, and then another teacher, Elizabeth Cummings when I was in my teens. Then my college professor, Robert Mayerovitch at Baldwin Wallace Conservatory of Music was the latest. I learned from them all, and still hear myself using phrases and concepts in my own teaching that I got from them. Unfortunately, I didn't always choose great mentors in other areas of my life, but that is another story altogether. I would like to think that I have been a part of many students' musical lives through the years, hopefully for the better.

My favorite "past student" memory came from a gal who I had taught her 1st year or 2 of piano at age 6, who transferred to the Cleveland Institute of Music for some years, then the family moved to Colorado. She was incredibly gifted, and I was sorry to lose her. A few years back, she called me, at age 16, to tell me that she had just won the Denver Concerto Competition and would be playing with the Denver Symphony. She said she wanted to thank her very 1st teacher who gave her her start and a good foundation to build on all those years later. I was SO BLESSED, to say the least. I would have loved to hear her play. In fact, I think I'll look her up on youtube.......you never know..... If I find her I'll post it here soon!

Keep up the good work......whatever you find yourself doing today!

Lori
MYC Founder and International Director

No comments: