Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wed, August 12, 2009

Sometimes I feel like I'm just writing a private journal that only I read, but JUST IN CASE there's anyone out there, I'll soldier on.

Today is a teaching day, and I'm on lunch break. In the summer I take a few select students and have them all on one day, which makes a one day work week. Nice to take. It reminds me of how much I love what I do, and how the students energize me, and make me want to keep my own skills up. I spend HOURS at the piano or in class around keyboards, so I ought to spend a little more time there by myself. I pulled out the old books this morning and got back to relearning some pieces I had worked on in the school year. I felt rusty, but it was good. That's the nature of this job; I'm more of a coach than a teacher. I can only take someone from point A to point B, the best way I know, and hopefully the best that works for them. The rest is up to the student. Obviously, the more they put in at home, the better, and unlike a test or quiz at school, there is no cramming that will equal lost days in practice during the week. It really takes a few years before students get that, and the light goes on in their heads where they WANT to practice. I remember VIVIDLY when that happened for me, and when I came home from school, I dropped my books, got a quick snack (you never miss that!!!) and hit the piano if it was vacant. My father taught lessons, so many times it was occupied. I didn't like playing in front of him - still would rather not - but I do remember actually making the connection between the amount of work I put into a piece and the results, AND improving and getting more enjoyable pieces to play. How I wish I could bottle that feeling and give a dose to each student that is struggling and wants to give up. Any ideas? I am open to comments!

Until later,
Lori

No comments: