Friday, October 23, 2009

October 23, 2009

My husband and I are going down to my old hometown, Marietta, Ohio, for a concert of my father's music....well, he's part of it, but also accompanying a soprano singing 3 of his songs in it. Cooincidentally, a classmate of mine, Bill Thompson, has a band that is playing a block from our hotel tonight, so I get a mix of musical styles and experiences. It will be the 1st time I've been back since our 25th HS reunion. My dad has set many poems to music, but these poems will actually have the poet there in person, and I'm really looking forward to meeting her. I've heard the songs as they've developed over the years, and heard recordings, but I'm not sure I've heard them live. He's driving up from TN, so the least I can do is drive down to meet him. I'm sure it will make me want to get composing again.....or else be so good that I'll never write another song again! Just kidding....I can feel inadequate compared to my dad, but he is a master teacher, and has about a million more hours of practice, education, and preparation for his craft, so I can hardly expect to compete with that, can I??

Here's a neat thing Volkswagon did in Sweden to get ppl to take the stairs instead of an escalator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMOI5_FKwg

Also, www.familygames.com/freelane.htm and scroll down to the last game, Note Card for a quick and easy game to study notes.

Happy Weekend.....see you next week!

No comments: