Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Jan. 24, 2012

The last full week of January, and winter STILL hasn't decided to arrive. The flower bulbs are coming up already, and I hope they'll be ok, or at least won't die when the real Cleveland winter arrives. We've had some hints of it, but our 6" of pretty white stuff was gone in one day. One day of 55 deg and rain. It would be nice to see the sun again. BTW, I read yesterday that the yolk of eggs contains Vit D - something sorely in need of here.

Our composition season is in full swing, and even I'm getting the bug. My dad, (William Buelow) gave me a CD for Christmas of a 2 piano duo piece he wrote and performed with Russell Wilson in 1965, the year I was THREE years old! It was when he was right out of college, and he had no recollection of even writing it! It's fantastic! The bad news is: the music seems to have disappeared. I hope and pray that it's in a box buried somewhere in his attic, and this summer I'll go down and help him look for it. Otherwise, those two men are the only people that will have the pleasure of playing it. Luckily, there is a nice recording of it for the rest of the world to enjoy. (thanks to Russell Wilson!)

That said, WRITE down your music! No matter how small the fragment. For that matter, write down your stories or record it, so that it's not lost. Even a small pocket size recorder is better than nothing. I suppose the same goes for visual arts, whether it be sketches or scratchings on a napkin in a restaurant. If you can imagine it in your mind, get it out of there as soon as possible in some fashion! And send me some good "vibes", thoughts or prayers for my current piece "Dreams", in which I'm stuck in a never-ending loop. I need a way to get out! :-) It would help to have some good quiet composing time, uninterrupted, but that last word is one that is rarely applied to my life. :-)

Thanks for reading, and hang in there. Spring is coming!!!!

No comments: